The Minenosawa Mine is a copper mine which operation began when Kuhara Fusanosuke, who found Kuhara Kogyo (present Japan Energy Corporation), bought it in 1907. Although the mine closed because of fires and the recession after the WWI, it reactivated in the Showa period (1926-1989).
After the WWII, the mine rapidly developed and it was known as one of the most successful mine in Japan by 1955. During this period, more than 700 people worked here. Naturally houses, hospitals, community centers, and recreational facilities gathered around. However, due to decrease in the quantity and the quality of its ores, the mine closed in 1969.
The Buddhist statue called "Kanayama Jizo" (Jizo of Gold Mine) stood nearby was built in prayer for its success. It is thought that people dug the mine before 1907 believing it was a gold mine. The statue was later moved to nearby the Yamagami Shrine.