Keisuke Kinoshita Memorial Museum
|Address||3-1 Sakae-machi, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi|
|Admission||Adults: 100 yen Free for over 69 and Physically Challenged People|
|Close||Mondays Days after Holidays New Year Holidays|
Kinoshita Keisuke was born in 1912 in Hamamatsu. He was one of the directors who contributed to the development of Golden Age of Japanese film industry. Keisuke Kinoshita Memorial Museum (Kinoshita Keisuke Kinenkan) was established in July 1 2001, aiming to honor his works and to raise interests in film culture among citizen. It moved inside Kyū Hamamatsu Ginko Kyokai, or Former Hamamatsu Bankers’ Association Building, and reopened in December 5 2009. The building is a designated tangible cultural property of Hamamatsu.
Kinoshita loved his hometown, and was an honorary director of Hamamatsu Literary Memorabilia Museum. He did not only contribute to the film industry, but also to Hamamatsu’s development. The museum displays documents and materials relating to the director. The collection includes items donated by himself and his family. All of his works, including his first film “Hanasaku Minato” and his last one “Chichi,” are introduced. Trophies awarded by both Japanese and foreign cinema festivals are also on display.
The building was originally built as Hamamatsu Bankers’ Association Center for bunkers to communicate in 1930. It was survived the air attacks in 1945. It became a registered tangible cultural property of Japan in 1998. Afterward, it ended its function as the center for bankers’ association and became the designated tangible property of Hamamatsu in 2009.