History of Hamamatsu Mergers
In 1871, newly formed Meiji government replaced hans, traditional federal domains governed by samurai families, to prefectures. Although Hamamatsu-han and Shizuoka-han initially merged and became Shizuoka Prefecture in July 1871, the prefecture was later divided into Hamamatsu Prefecture and Shizuoka Prefecture in November of that year. Five years later, Hamamatsu Prefecture was incorporated into Shizuoka Prefecture again.
As the government announced the reorganization of administrative units, Hamamatsu Town, with a population of 13,630, 2,684 households and a land area of 3.17km², was established in April 1888. In 1904, Terajima, Hachiman and Ryuzenji merged with Hamamatsu, and then in 1908, Asada, Ebitsuka, Iba and Higasikamoe also merged with Hamamatsu Town.
The creation of the Tokaido Railway led to further developments in trade and industry, which in turn led to the tripling of the population between the years 1888 to 1911. Hamamatsu Town became Hamamatsu City on July 1, 1911. It had a population of 36,782, 6,940 households, and covered an area of 8.66km². A Shinto-style festival was held at the Gosha Park to show the gratitude to Kami-sama (God) for municipalization of Hamamatsu. Despite the rain, people celebrated this event by hoisting the national flag at the cue of the fireworks at 6 am, and later by blowing whistles at factories all over the city at 9 am. July 1 was set to be the Foundation Day of the city, and a combined design of the ocean and a pine tree became the logo of the city. The song of the city was set in 1921.
1912 – Parts of the village of Tomitsuka merges with Hamamatsu
1916 – A part of the village of Tenjincho and parts of the village of Hikuma merge with Hamamatsu
1921 – The village of Tenjincho merges with Hamamatsu
1936 – The village of Hikumacho and the village of Tomitsuka merge with Hamamatsu
1939 – The village of Shirawaki and the village of Kaba merge with Hamamatsu
1949 – A part of the village of Kami merges with Hamamatsu
1951 – The village of Shindsu, the village of Gotou and the village of Kawawa merge with Hamamatsu
1954 – Kasai Town, the village of Nagakami, the village of Wada ,the village of Nakanomachi, the village of Hougawa, the village of Iida, the village of Mikatabara and the village of Yoshino merge with Hamamatsu
1955 – The village of Kamikuro and the village of Miyakoda merge with Hamamatsu
1957 – The village of Irino, the village of Sekishi and a part of the village of Kotow merge with Hamamatsu
1960 – The village of Kotou merges with Hamamatsu
1961 – The village of Shinohara merges with Hamamatsu
1965 – The village of Shounai merges with Hamamatsu
1991 – The village of Kami merges with Hamamatsu
2003 – The population reaches to 600,000
2005 – Hamakita City, Kosai City, Tenryu City, Maisaka Town, Arai Town, Yutou Town, Inasa Town, Mikkabi Town, Haruno Town, Sakuma Town, Misakubo Town and the village of Tatsuyama merge with Hamamatsu. Upon this amalgamation, the city redesigned its logo.
On January 2010, the city has a population of 822,716 and 536 towns.
History of Hamamatsu Mergers (Map)
"Hamamatsu Shi Shi" (Hamamatsu City History), Hamamatsu City